[Bf-committers] Steam-powered Blender

Jan Albartus albartus at home.nl
Tue Aug 27 11:10:56 CEST 2013

Hi Ton, Jan and everyone else,

On a more practical approach, my personal feeling is that it might be
useful to think about putting the current Blender on steam and then
provide any addons/plugins as separate DLC (Downloadable content). This
way the official Blender doesn't need any Steam specific changes to it's
release as well as separating any current and future addons needed
specific for the game modding community.

I think this might be the best way to start the process on a
Steam-powered Blender. If it's possible to handle io-specific tasks
through the Python addons that is. I think I read somewhere that
http-calls aren't implemented yet in the Blender-python api?

The actual (technical) specifics of the Blender and addon updates to
Steam is something to be worked out, since the developers of the
plug-ins/addons might be.

Having Blender available on Steam might expose the Steam-centric modding
community to Blender and addon development easier, I think, than trying
to reach out to all modders before Blender is on Steam. And getting the
Steam forums connected to a release might also might help to get the
ball rolling.

Please note that I'm not talking in the capacity of a Blender developer
(I only made one simple addon many years ago) but as a Blender and Steam
user that is very interested in seeing Blender made available on Steam.
For modders and 'just' artists alike.

On a final note, I think the Steam-overlay (hot-keys) might conflict
with Blender's hot-keys, so it might be to find a solution for that or
just disable the overlay for the time being.

Thanks,
LOGAN