[Bf-committers] Generating icons overwriting files in SVN.

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 12:35:03 CEST 2013

Hi,

Don't think generating PNG if Inkscape found and using PNG from SVN
otherwise will work. We would still need to keep PNG up-to-date in svn, so
everyone is guaranteed to have up-to-date icons.

Making inkscape/imagemagick a dependency is not  a good thing to do as well
-- blender compilation is already really complicated. So i would rather
avoid this.

So from suggested alternatives i would prefer reverting that part of
changes which generates PNG out of SVG at buildtime. We don't change icons
so much often anyway.

As a long-term solution, think it's better to make SVG a native format for
icons. Meaning, blender will rasterize SVG itself. Would make any icons
size look just as crisp as it could be :)

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 4:09 PM, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Recently Bastian committed changes so changes to the SVG icons
> automatically generates new PNG's.
>
> In general this is nice functionality to have, but it has some problems.
>
> The updated file thats generated overwrites the PNG in svn,
> with changes to file modifiy times (moving files or dirs about),
> its possible the PNG will get regenerated by building, even if the SVG
> wasnt modified.
>
> So before committing you have to revert the change if it wasnt intentional,
> then manually touch the PNG so CMake isn't going to try generate the
> image again.
>

> Normally I check files before committing but sometimes I just commit
> if I know I only edited a few files.
> but generating overwriting files in svn means you can't be sure other
> files aren't chagned too.
>

> Suggest 2 options...
>
> 1) Store _all_ generated files out of source,
>   (this was the case already before icon changes)
> Note: since we currently don't have inkscape as a build dependency we
> cant remove the PNG's from SVN,
>   but we could generate the file to the external dir, if inkscape
> isn't found, just copy it from the one in svn.
>   This way we get the benefit of icon generation without accidentally
> overwriting icons in svn.
>
> 2) revert icon generation as part of the build process for now.
>
> A third option could be to remove PNG's from SVN and make
> inkscape/imagemagick a build dependency,
> but think this makes building more trouble and dont really think its
> such a good thing to do.
>

> --
> - Campbell

With best regards, Sergey Sharybin