[Bf-committers] Generating icons overwriting files in SVN.

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 12:09:39 CEST 2013

Recently Bastian committed changes so changes to the SVG icons
automatically generates new PNG's.

In general this is nice functionality to have, but it has some problems.

The updated file thats generated overwrites the PNG in svn,
with changes to file modifiy times (moving files or dirs about),
its possible the PNG will get regenerated by building, even if the SVG
wasnt modified.

So before committing you have to revert the change if it wasnt intentional,
then manually touch the PNG so CMake isn't going to try generate the
image again.

Normally I check files before committing but sometimes I just commit
if I know I only edited a few files.
but generating overwriting files in svn means you can't be sure other
files aren't chagned too.

Suggest 2 options...

1) Store _all_ generated files out of source,
  (this was the case already before icon changes)
Note: since we currently don't have inkscape as a build dependency we
cant remove the PNG's from SVN,
  but we could generate the file to the external dir, if inkscape
isn't found, just copy it from the one in svn.
  This way we get the benefit of icon generation without accidentally
overwriting icons in svn.

2) revert icon generation as part of the build process for now.

A third option could be to remove PNG's from SVN and make
inkscape/imagemagick a build dependency,
but think this makes building more trouble and dont really think its
such a good thing to do.

--
- Campbell