[Bf-committers] Sculpt stroke questions

Antony Riakiotakis kalast at gmail.com
Sat Aug 24 10:01:34 CEST 2013

Hi,

two questions:

I've been poking around our sculpting code these days and I have seen that
the sculpt plane calculation takes into account any vertices in the sculpt
sphere. If the user is sculpting to a thin tube-like mesh structure, this
can lead to the sculpt plane being inside the volume of the mesh structure
instead of above it, so I was thinking of modifying the averaging code to
happen only if the vertex is front-facing (similarly to how the sculpt
normal is processed).

Also the test for front-facing vertices should possibly be modified when we
use a perspective camera to use a (vertex to camera * vertex normal) dot
product instead of (camera z * vertex normal) dot product. This will cost
slightly in sculpting performance so I am a bit reluctant about it, not
being sure if the results are noticeable enough.

Thoughts?