[Bf-committers] uiList enhancements

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Wed Aug 21 17:14:38 CEST 2013

Quick UI review, still need to dig into patches:

* The vertex groups panel seems to have two lists, doesn't make sense
to me, was that for testing?

* Adding a vertex group gives a memory leak "Error: Not freed memory
blocks: 2" "rna_ui.c:371 len: 4 0x7fc990c102c8"

* The filter options don't look very polished to me. Some suggestions
** Replace (+) icon by a small magnifying glass? I also would expect
in the right-bottom.
** Filter by Name is cut off, I think if there's a magnifying glass
that label can be left out.
** Put everything on a single line, make sorting options into an enum.
** I'm not sure if the invert options are needed, for sorting seems
unnecessary, and for filter advantage is also unclear to me.
** For vertex groups I don't think Filter by Empty and Filter by Name
should be mutually exclusive, think it could always show textbox and
have option to show empty.

* There is too much padding between last item and gripper, like the
gripper is a full row but doesn't need to be?

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 12:43 AM, Bastien Montagne
<montagne29 at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> So, first one fixes some bugs with PROP_DYNAMIC RNA parameters (for RNA
> functions) - unless I completely misunderstood that piece of code, that
> kind of props was not handled nicely!
>
>      http://www.pasteall.org/44830/diff

> int size = 0

Change this to size_t.

> /* Only for PROP_DYNAMIC properties! */

Can you rename the functions to contain the word 'dynamic' to indicate this?

> * I decided to drop the "maxrows" option of list template, afaict it's
> not used anywhere, and it added quite some unneeded complication to
> template code (especially as we now support the same kind of features
> for GRID layout as well).

It's definitely used, it automatically makes lists expand a few rows
when you add items. Keeps the lists compact when empty but not
unreasonably small when it has items. That doesn't seem to be working
anymore, I thought this was a nice feature.

> I put all the "API maintenance" edits to scripts in a separate patch:
>
>      http://www.pasteall.org/44835/diff

As discussed on IRC, the extra draw_item parameter breaks
compatibility, would be nice if that was made optional somehow.