[Bf-committers] Steam-powered Blender

Jeffrey H italic.rendezvous at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 03:05:05 CEST 2013

A suite would probably do better overall than individually maintained
tools. A suite allowing a two-way dev environment would provide the best
workflow and would likely gain and keep support from the community (as
opposed to creating a dozen different tools to fill holes left by others).
Having a team develop these tools as a whole (whether Valve, the community
or a third party) would keep them compatible with each other and
up-to-date. I think this would work out well while we're talking about
Source and its collection of command line tools, but what about other dev
kits? Do other workshop dev kits support the same source files (obj/tga)?

Regarding the tool suite: what would we need in this suite to allow two-way
data transfer between SDK and Blender?
-An importer/exporter for models and related data (mesh, skeleton,
animation). This would essentially be SMD/DMX tools with an importer.
-Importer/exporter for materials and textures
-Possibly an interchange with Hammer's plain-text format (vmf)?

This is essentially my thought process from this afternoon. Hope I'm not
dreaming to big here.

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 12:14 PM, SheeEttin <sheeettin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Additionally, on the other end of the pipeline, I'd love some support
> for decompiling/importing existing compiled MDLs. Currently the only
> solution is to use third-party tools (MDLDecompiler, StudioCompiler)
> which aren't reliable. Making assets like hats for TF2 requires
> working on top of the existing model, and that's kinda hard to do
> without the model.
>
> I'm really excited for this whole thing, and I'm willing to help any way I
> can.
>
> On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 4:28 AM,  <brookesy at internode.on.net> wrote:
> >  I have been a long time user of blender for source modding, and have
> > been through all the add-ons that have been released. The most recent
> > SMD/DMX tools by Varsity (of facepunch) are by far the best, and are
> > really easy to use. The part that most people have trouble with in
> > source is the compilation process, so you would want to have an
> > automatic system for generating a .qc through the blender addon (like
> > the one used by GUIstudiomdl, for instance) for new users. The
> > .smd/dmx files and the .qc could be uploaded together and compiled
> > remotely (and locally for testing). This would maximize useability for
> > new modelers I think.
> >
> >  Another major feature that would be very useful for modders is the
> > ability to create source materials for their models directly within
> > blender. At the moment there is no VTF support, so we use tga or png
> > and convert them externally. Blender already has a good material
> > system but being able to generate a .vmt from your material settings
> > would be great as well. At least the basics like phong/cubemap and
> > normals. These two features would immediately allow people who already
> > model with blender to make models straight away.
> >
> >  Hell I have a whole list of stuff but I digress.
> >
> >  I'd be up for providing training for modelers to use the tools, I
> > have already been making tutorial videos and such on youtube, but the
> > majority of my input has been streaming to online classrooms via
> > Livestream. I would love to help out in any way I can, be that testing
> > or providing some service to the community. My support is behind
> > providing Blender with the SMD/DMX tools already installed and
> > automatically maintained. Great that you guys are even considering
> > this!
> >
> >  - Abe (Black_Stormy)

Jeffrey "Italic_" Hoover