[Bf-committers] [Bf-blender-cvs] SVN commit: /data/svn/bf-blender [58752] trunk/blender/source/blender/ editors/object/object_bake.c: Fix #36302: Multires baking to zero 0 was showing error but still was baking

Antony Riakiotakis kalast at gmail.com
Sat Aug 10 19:24:06 CEST 2013

Hi,

The answer it that during sculpting, the sculpt stroke does not propagate
on the data on the zero level. This means that the mapping between
displaced and base mesh breaks on this level and the algorithm that does
the multires baking breaks there. My guess is that this is an architectural
issue similar to "modifiers are non-destructive"?

However, IMO, we should if possible make an exception to the multires
modifier. Being able to bake to level zero is very important. There are two
solutions I see here. Either make the strokes touch mesh data directly, or
use an apply base modifier prior to baking, maybe with a warning that
baking will alter the mesh data. Of course this requires an "Apply to Base"
operator that actually works which currently is not the case. We had a few
reports in our tracker where it resulted in spikes on the mesh (apparently
some divide by small number errors).