[Bf-committers] Leap Motion Integration

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Fri Aug 9 14:38:23 CEST 2013

Hi Hugo,

You're welcome! Also a thanks to your company seeding a dozen devices to people here :)

I think we have two main topics to sort out with integration.

The first is to solve the integration in a license compatible way. I hope people here on the list who have the device & SDK can investigate or report on that well.

BTW: We solved this issue before with 3DConnexxion, by making an open source library (GPL complaint) where Blender talks to via generic interface for devices. This library then handles driver connections itself, based on the system install.

An initial mail on that work you can find here:
http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2007-May/018398.html

Handling support via Python is possible too, but I think we'd prefer to have events come in via our standard low level GHOST library (the utility for OS specific code, windowing and event handling).

Second then is to define support inside of Blender for it. My own impression is to first do this for the GE and player though. Whether or how it can play a role in 3D modeling is still to be investigated.

Laters,

-Ton-

Chairman Blender Foundation - Producer Blender Institute