[Bf-committers] Getting Blender ready for 10-Bit video

Björn Sonnenschein green at unitybox.de
Mon Aug 5 20:23:43 CEST 2013

Hello there,

A new one is coming on board :)
I am Björn, coming from Germany and the dominating purpose I use blender
for is video editing and compositing. Regarding this, I have already
worked on some python scripts, namely the VSE to Compositor and
Sequencer In and Outpoints ones. At the moment I am learning a little
c/c++ in my spare time and would like to do something for blender with
this.

As video with a depth of more than 8 bit might get popular due to
blackmagic's cameras (My BMPCC will arrive soon, meaning hopefully
before Christmas ;) ) I am looking into making blender ready for this.
I have to confess that I am not very familiar with Blender's code and C.
What I have understood so far is that the img_convert_ctx struct is
filled in the startffmpeg function in anim_movie.c and
ffmpeg_postprocess calls sws_scale from ffmpeg which converts the pixel
format (?).

By now, the frame is converted to RGBA (?), but for some time past
swscale does also support conversion to RGBA64, so 16 bit per plane
which I would suggest to use for movies instead.

Unfortunately I was unable to find further documentation of Blender's
movie decoding pipeline, so I am asking for help about what I have to
change to get that thing working.

Cheers,
Björn