[Bf-committers] Avoiding regressions, changes to the release cycle.

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Fri Aug 2 18:14:41 CEST 2013

Hi Cam,

Yep we gotta move on. Was suffering jetlag and few days heatwave in Amsterdam :)

Reading all comments, I think there's consensis to:

- Do the usual test build in BCon4 period, just a snapshot of trunk
- Make a real RC, which is the tagged release branch (with splash, release nr, etc)
- Do the actual release some weeks after with bugfixes in this branch. (or an RC2, etc, until all is fine).

Which is your 'renaming' proposal, which I didn't get at first. Jetlag :)

Further actions to take:

- Actively remind module owners to at least do serious tests of their areas. It's really part of the responsibility that comes with ownership.
- Get the regression files upgraded (better ones, not more files!)
- Investigate various ways for automatic testing

About bi-monthly planning:

I think we're getting a bit release-fatigue now. Pushing a release just because the planning says so isn't very inspiring. We can still do a serious attempt to release as often as possible, but let's base it on a planning that reflects our code work best - branch mergers and refactors should get fair amount of time too.

A useful rule-of-thumb could be to schedule an official new "RC release" two months after the real stable release, which would in practice be a 2.5 to 3 months cycle. We can define this each time on a per-case basis though.

Sounds like a plan?

-Ton-

Chairman Blender Foundation - Producer Blender Institute