[Bf-committers] GSOC Ideas: 3D Reconstruction

Jace Priester jacepriester at threespaceimaging.com
Tue Apr 30 21:53:57 CEST 2013

Meshes are very sufficient for handling point cloud data as I have already
discussed. They are a collection of vertices, stored efficiently and
rendered to the viewport efficiently. They are simply lacking per-vertex
color and size, which is what my code adds. There is no need for a new
object type to accommodate point cloud data. That's actually a really good
thing, because all the existing mesh tools continue to work.

I agree this all sounds like too big of a project. If there were a library
out there that did this type of work well and it could be integrated with
Blender, that would be great, but there isn't. Bundler is great but it's
only one step in the pipeline. That said, if this does end up getting
underway I'm very interested in working on it with whoever is involved. And
like I said I'm working on putting together a patch for the little bit that
I have, and I'll get that part out in a couple days here.

Jace Priester
Threespace Imaging
jacepriester at threespaceimaging.com
559-284-0904