[Bf-committers] Blender and laser scanner - amendment

Jace Priester jacepriester at threespaceimaging.com
Tue Apr 30 18:23:04 CEST 2013

Sort of. Camera tracking is based on following points through a video. As
it is in blender that means manually marking points, automatic tracking,
and manual adjustment to clean it up. SFM from photos is based on
determining arbitrary and automatic point correspondence rather than 2D
point tracking. I suppose that means that to implement SFM, Blender already
has at least some of the needed code, but it's still missing point
correspondence entirely. I'd skip all the slow methods and look at
SiftGPU/SURF for quick point correspondence determination. As a bonus this
would probably be a great help to the camera tracking portion as well.

My last set of point cloud code was for some early 2.6 version and custom
data layers have been added since then which breaks my code. I'll put
together a patch for the current version and get back to you.

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 9:06 AM, Antoine Cottin <acottin at ultiscan.com>wrote:

> I agree that Blender is not a point cloud editor but adding point cloud
> visualization would be a nice add-on and need to stick to
> import-export-render.
> Concerning the SFM, I agree that they are dedicate softwares out there
> that do the job more or less nicely, however, SFM and camera tracking with
> 3D reconstruction use the same approach -> photogrammetry.
> Ultiscan SAS
> 6 rue de Molsheim
> 67000 Strasbourg
> France