[Bf-committers] Blender and laser scanner - amendment

Bastien Montagne montagne29 at wanadoo.fr
Tue Apr 30 14:39:46 CEST 2013

Hi,

Indeed, adding color CD layer to vertices is not a great deal. For
render, I think the simplest solution would be to tweak a bit particles
(we already have billboards, just would have to make them be able to
take the color from actual vertices and not only from loops), a system
with as much particles as vertices, emitted from those all at once and
with lifetime=scene duration is a suitable way to render a points cloud.
With a decent modern computer, Blender can render several millions of
such billboards with no problem. :)

And we could also have some tool to convert points clouds to actual
meshes + textures, which could generate much faster objects for rendering...

So, especially if Jace already did part of the work (btw, Jace, any
patch, branch or so available?), to get a basic usable and rederable
solution should not be *that* hard!

Best regards,
Bastien