[Bf-committers] GSoC 201 - Automatic Skeleton Extraction

Alexander Pinzon Fernandez apinzonf at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 16:57:25 CEST 2013

Hello, Thank you all for your comments.

First of all I want to make some clarifications::

   - This method does not use any template or skeleton model.
   - This method ensures that the skeleton generated depends only on the
   features of the mesh (size, shape, segments, curvature, etc).
   - This is not a method for a pose detection..
   - Blenrig is only for bipeds, the proposed method is for any model.
   - Skeleton extraction based on mesh contraction has better results that
   method based on reeb graphs, see page 8
   http://visgraph.cse.ust.hk/projects/skeleton/skeleton_sig08.pdf.

I wish to highlight some advantages of the implementation of this method

   - The method will allow novice users to animate any polygon mesh as
   people, animals or inorganic objects.
   - The method can be a starting point for an experienced designer.
   Because this method automatically segments the mesh. Generating the vertex
   groups for each segment found.
   - The method allows to obtain the skeleton of all mesh well defined.
   People, animals, (inorganic elements such as tables, chairs, etc.).

I should also mention that create the skeleton of an octopus, or other such
complex element can be simple but it is a tedious task because you must
first create the skeleton, adjusting each bone in the body, and the mesh
should be segmented into parts, and linking every part of the skeleton with
a bone with this project is to perform all these steps automatically.

The proposed method has been widely accepted in the community of computer
graphics, for its robustness against noise, its simplicity in
implementation and because it is resistant to isometric changes.

You can see a video showing the method, and some images of skeletons
obtained with this method.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H7n59YQCRM
http://graphics.csie.ncku.edu.tw/Skeleton/index.files/image004.gif
http://visgraph.cse.ust.hk/projects/skeleton/index.files/image012.jpg