[Bf-committers] GSoC 201 - Automatic Skeleton Extraction

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Fri Apr 26 02:01:40 CEST 2013

For reference, Martin Poirier did a project to implement an automatic
skeleton generator. The code for that is actually still there
(editors/armature/reeb.c) but disabled and never integrated into the
2.5 UI.
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Theeth/skeletor

The automatic weighting in Blender is also based on a paper about an
automatic skeleton generating. So the creating vertex groups part of
the proposal could reuse code here.
http://www.mit.edu/~ibaran/autorig/

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 9:13 PM, Daniel Salazar - 3Developer.com
<zanqdo at gmail.com> wrote:
> We have had a number of automated armature tools in the past that
> never really delivered something usable in production. It is my
> opinion that rigging has a long way to go before it can be automated.
> The creation and positioning of bones is not only critical to a good
> rig but also not that hard to do technically.. meaning it would take
> me the same amount of time or more to fix the automated results than
> to do it right from scratch :( Hope that helps even if it's a
> "negative" opinion.

I have to agree with this, placing bones is not a lot of work so it's
going to be difficult to beat doing it manually. As a summer of code
project it's a well defined and feasible project, but not really an
important feature to have, so I guess that's the tradeoff that will be
considered when judging this proposal.

Brecht.