[Bf-committers] Blender online

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Fri Apr 26 01:22:04 CEST 2013

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 11:38 PM, Moisés Bonilla <neodivert at gmail.com> wrote:
> First of all, thanks for the quick response.
>
> Ton Roosendaal: That idea about the "normalized" file IO sounds good. Do
> you think that maybe I could start thinking about the case when two people
> starts with a empty scene and each one sends to the other simple commands
> (Create cube at ..., Rotate object ..., etc)?

I think Ton misunderstood what you were proposing? Handling network
paths is quite different from realtime sharing.

> And no, although summer of code sounds interesting, I would prefer to "take
> it easy" for now :). Anyway, I should start by proposing the project in the
> wiki, isn't it?

Yes, you can add make a wiki page about the project.

But note that there's a reason Verse was never finished and
integrated. If it's a research project where you create a proof of
concept then it can work, but to make this ready for production use is
problematic. That's because there are many different data structures
and editing operations in Blender, and they weren't designed with this
kind of thing in mind. It's quite possible to make it work for a small
subset of those, but supporting this across Blender in a way that's
reliable and maintainable probably requires a major redesign of
Blender internals.

Brecht.