[Bf-committers] Blender online

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Thu Apr 25 18:02:31 CEST 2013

Hi,

Within our own roadmap there's the idea to add a new dedicated library for all file reading (and write), to formalize it with a "BPath" handle (a struct which can be in our data for all paths too), which solves and cleans issues we have now with paths in general (Windows vs posix file names), relative paths, remapping of paths, with network drives on Windows, or shortcuts as used in Windows and OSX.

Once that's in place and stable, extending it to network access is possible too. However, it would need to solve security issues well then too.

If you like to approach this project with as a target to get a patch or work accepted for a release, you best first come with a good design proposal. Just get an account on our wiki.blender.org for it?

Good ways to discuss it would be our irc channel irc.freenode.net #blendercoders. Note everyone's quite busy now with a lot of students trying to get reviews for summer of code! At first I thought you also meant to do that? See frontpage blender.org.

Regards,

-Ton-