[Bf-committers] Enhancing the 3d_ruler to filter snapping by selected objects

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 12:24:37 CEST 2013

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 8:18 PM, Isaac Bickerstaff <worcesterm at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's quite hard to explain fully, here's the blend I was working on when I
> got the itch to scratch.
>
> http://www.pasteall.org/blend/20828
>
> The problem is when I want to draw a rule from one object to another, but I
> have quite a few objects in view. Previously I was moving the objects I
> wanted to measure to a new layer, drawing the rulers, then moving them
> back. But this got annoying relatively quickly.
>
> The other type of thing I'd like to implement (if you are open to accepting
> patches for this feature) is a "lock to axis" when drawing the ruler.
>
> ps: I'm sorry if I've screwed up formatting here, I have no idea how
> mailing lists are supposed to work. :(
>
> --
> tubs

Hi Isaac,

Checked on the test file and it was indeed giving problems, I've made
some changes in svn which I think resolve them...
- in wireframe draw mode, dont snap to faces, ignore depth and snap to
verts/edges only.
- reduce radius for picking rulers (in your example it was too easy to
drag points by accident).
- draw snap circle so you can tell when snapping occurs (makes it more
obvious theres no face snap in wireframe view).

In your example there are still cases where you may not want to snap
to other unselected objects, but in those cases Id suggest using
localview or hiding the objects.

for details see commits:
http://projects.blender.org/scm/viewvc.php?view=rev&root=bf-blender&revision=56287
http://projects.blender.org/scm/viewvc.php?view=rev&root=bf-blender&revision=56289