[Bf-committers] GSoC - BGE Particle System or Arduino API

tsquar3d trevor.tomesh at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 00:52:35 CEST 2013

Hi Ton,

Ton Roosendaal wrote
> I would like to point at the stakeholder principle for open source
> projects. Especially when special hardware is involved (like 3DConnexion,
> Wacom, Leap, Oculus, Arduino, Kinect, or stereo displays) I would like to
> see a very clear end-user case.

I seem to have a few interested parties and I am personally working to
identify end-user cases (both actual and potential) -- including my own as a
PhD student in the upcoming year. :-)

> And - assuming there's enough users for this hardware, what do they
> already use, and what are their immediate demands precisely?

The parties I have spoken with thus far are interested in using the arduino
in conjunction with Blender for new-media art. I intend on discussing
further precisely what demands they have. I am also very much interested in
getting in touch with scientific research groups as they could very much
benefit from this sort of technology (especially in real-time visualization
-- one of my personal research interests and the intended topic of my PhD).

> And last but not least - what's the benefit for a 3D creation tool to have
> this?

The obvious benefit is to draw more users -- if Blender can be advertised to
have arduino support hard-coded directly into it, it makes it an attractive
choice for new-media artists, scientists, animators -- you name it --
looking for software that can capture data -- especially in real-time.