[Bf-committers] GSoC - BGE Particle System or Arduino API

Mitchell Stokes mogurijin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 00:37:56 CEST 2013

I'll let others provide feedback on the Arduino thing (although this sounds
like something that could be whipped up as a script pretty easily). As for
the particle system, the reason the BGE doesn't have a built-in system
isn't so much the difficulty in making a particle system (a simple emitter
is really easy to get up and running), it's the user interface. How should
users control the particles? It seems a lot of systems just have simple
controls such as speed, gravity, etc. How about allowing particles to
change shape or color over time? Do we need some sort of scripting
interface for this? Nodes? Furthermore, before tackling a built-in particle
system, user created systems should be explored such as X-Emitter[0] and
easyEmit[1]. What would your system provide that these don't? Having
something "built-in"? We have a procedure for shipping user contributed
add-ons, so we could always look into bundling something like easyEmit (I'm
not sure if X-Emitter is actually setup as an add-on). There was also a
project (might have been GSoC) for built-in GPU-based particles for the BGE
in the past, EnjaParticles[2].

In general, I think the focus on a built-in particle system would be to
deliver a solid user experience rather than just get another half-baked
system tossed into the BGE. Also, it would probably be nice to take a look
at some of the ideas mentioned here[3]. Overall, particles isn't a bad GSoC
project, but I don't think people always understand the details involved
(such as why this hasn't already been done). In other words, you'll want to
put some thought into your proposal. I'm also available on IRC to discuss
the idea further.

Cheers,
Mitchell

[0] http://solarlune-gameup.blogspot.com/search/label/X-Emitter