[Bf-committers] How much ram is needed for compiling cuda kernels ?

trouble daemon troubledaemon at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 14:49:09 CEST 2013

Hi Marko,

I use ccmake (the ncurses version of cmake-menu) here in Linux. For my
cuda compiling, I generally leave WITH_CYCLES_CUDA_BINARIES set to
OFF, which has the effect of delaying building of the cuda kernel
until I actually run blender and enable cycles for the first time.
After the first run, this should have the effect of only comping the
cuda that is actually needed for your system.

If you would rather build your kernel during compile instead, set that
above line to ON, and then in advanced settings, change
CYCLES_CUDA_BINARIES_ARCH to sm_21 only (the newer default is:
"sm_20;sm_21;sm_30" for me atm, but I think it had sm_13 in there
until recently).

Hope this helps, gl o/

Dan