[Bf-committers] How much ram is needed for compiling cuda kernels ?

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Thu Apr 18 14:14:17 CEST 2013

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 1:17 PM, Marko Radojcic <sambucuself at gmail.com> wrote:
> I regularly compile "my own" version of blender from svn and use prebuild
> versions with CUDA and OpenCL support.
>
> Now I tried to compile the CUDA build myself.
>
> Although I have set the variable to use only "sm_21" kernel type, the build
> step said it was building for compute capability 1.3, which is fine in
> general, but it produces "memory allocation error" - at that moment the
> process monitor said that "be" compiler is using 2.5 GB of RAM.

We dropped official support for sm 1.3, partly because it is so
difficult to compile for. Which build system are you using? Perhaps
this is not properly configured.

> How much RAM is required to build the kernels? - that is my main question.
>
> Is 2.5GB limit within the OS or the build environment ?
>
> I'm using gcc 4.6.2 and CUDA 5.0

I don't know the number, it changes each time we add more features.
For sm 2.x or newer RAM usage is a lot lower than sm 1.3 so I suggest
just trying to find out how to configure things to avoid the issue, as
building sm 1.3 on 32 bit is something we don't support anymore.

Brecht.