[Bf-committers] Motion tracking project

Akhil Verghese akhilcherian at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 21:02:11 CEST 2013

Hi Sergey,

I have a reasonable amount of experience with motion tracking. From my
robotics projects and, more recently, with my project on gait analysis. I
was a little overwhelmed with the project description though. Were the
individual projects mentioned intended as one large project or as
suggestions for separate projects? I have a little experience relating to
the lens estimation and variable focal length projects and a considerable
amount of experience with multi-camera reconstructions, but implementing
all eight projects listed seems like a lot in a summer.

My own suggestions for this project are based on the needs I've felt while
working on my current assignment. The lab I'm volunteering at uses 8
cameras spaced around a room to determine the x, y and z coordinates of 15
LEDs attached to different points of a subjects legs. The data is stored as
the subject moves and my program recreates the motion on my screen. It also
calculates the internal forces involved and re-simulates the motion, given
certain additional criteria. I'm presenting my software on Monday to the
department, and I can send a youtube link with my application.

The method of reconstructing the motion was pretty basic. The cameras
generated the coordinates in the form:
pretty obvious format to me. I was surprised to find that I couldn't find a
software that directly took data of this form or any similar form and
reconstructed the motion. If one could design a 3d object (even a humanoid)
and specifically assign the reference points (say a marker on your right
wrist) to distinct points on the objects (the right wrist of the humanoid)
in an open source application, I think it would save on a lot of tedious
coding and have numerous applications (maybe even for virtual games). I'm
not sure if I've described this clearly. Please let me know if it needs
further explanation or if you think it could be incorporated into the
motion tracking project.

Thanks.