[Bf-committers] Migrating Blender builds to Visual Studio 2010

Thomas Dinges blender at dingto.org
Mon Apr 15 15:38:59 CEST 2013

Hi Jürgen,
first of all thanks for your work and the offer.

I doubt that we can change to vc2010 so easily. If we would switch, we
would need a couple of MSVC professional licences for the release
builders, the build bot and core devs.
Also, I rather not have "yet another" build system to support inside our
cmake and scons files. We already have VC 2008 and MinGW.
And I don't think 2010 gives us a lot (if any?) benefits over 2008 as well.

And last but not least, if we do a migration, than I rather move to the
latest one, rather than to 2010.

Best regards,
Thomas

Am 15.04.2013 14:38, schrieb Jürgen Herrmann:
> Hi there,
>
> after trying to build Blender on VC 2012 in the last weeks I came to the conclusion that with the current state of the Microsoft VC 2012 compiler it is merely impossible for me to provide a working build. Even if I get blender to compile without errors, blender crashes on startup.
>
> I am recently trying recompile the libs for VS 2010 x64 (x86 follows later).
> While doing this I'll replace outdated versions of the libs with newer ones.
>
> If all goes well I'll be done with the x64 libs by the end if this week and could provide a decent test build of Blender trunk using these libs.
>
> For compilation with this new build environment I'll have to change things in the CMakeLists.txt.
>
> If you like I could provide the libs and CMake adaptions to you for inclusion in SVN.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Jürgen Herrmann

Thomas Dinges
Blender Developer, Artist and Musician