[Bf-committers] [Bf-blender-cvs] SVN commit: /data/svn/bf-blender [55938] trunk/blender: Add a gui control for setting omp threads in fluids

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Wed Apr 10 22:38:11 CEST 2013

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 9:52 PM, Jens Verwiebe <info at jensverwiebe.de> wrote:
>> * There should be an "automatic" setting and it should be the default.
>
> Thats what is to avoided, cause fluid sometimes work better with reduced threads or max threads to get, scenedependant.

But is fixed 4 threads really a better default than max threads taking
all platforms into account? It seems like a waste of course if you
have e.g. a 16 core machine, and it's likely quite slow on a dual
core. If it depends on the scene then max threads or something like
max threads -1 seems like a more future proof guess.

Besides that, I still think it's good to have an "automatic" setting
regardless if it uses 4 threads or something more adaptive.

Thanks,
Brecht.