[Bf-committers] NPR style plugin for Freestyle

Károly Zsolnai zsolnai at cg.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Apr 9 16:59:40 CEST 2013

Hello there everyone,

is it a possibility that you need this "Markov Field" brush synthesizer
algorithm in Freestyle? Short video below.
http://cg.iit.bme.hu/~zsolnai/gfx/markovmotionpic/zsolnai_markov.avi

The foundations of the work are in the thesis of Robert Kalnins:
http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~rkalnins/thesis.html

My take on the matter is unfortunately not in English, but if you wish, you
can check the pictures:
http://cg.iit.bme.hu/~zsolnai/gfx/markovmotionpic/zsolnai_markov.pdf

Also there is an English (finally!) paper on this too:
http://cg.iit.bme.hu/~zsolnai/gfx/handdrawnlineart/npr.pdf

Please let me know if you desire this to be in Blender. Maybe we could get
a GSoC student to integrate my implementation in Blender? Or as I am a PhD
student, I also might have a chance to get a student to do it.

If so, I'll check if it is possible to give out the code as it is expected
to be used in the motion picture industry [1] [2].

[1] http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1492806/
[2] http://cg.iit.bme.hu/~zsolnai/gfx/egill_battle.jpg

Cheers,
Károly Zsolnai