[Bf-committers] Proportional editing distance calculation ?

Hadrien Brissaud hadriscus at gmail.com
Sat Apr 6 23:13:18 CEST 2013

Hello,

I have come across an annoying behaviour when using proportional editing -
connected mode. This mode is very useful for situations where we don't want
nearby, unconnected areas to be affected by transformations made with
proportional editing enabled.

This happens with "*proportional edit"* on : http://i.imgur.com/FE6uPh1.png
Now, this happens with "*proportional editing connected"* on :
http://i.imgur.com/U5TZW3i.png

I understand this is likely due to the way Blender calculates distance to
nearby vertices - for instance, diagonals may be calculated as twice
farther than directly-connected vertices. This is verified by attempting
the same deformation on a radially-subdivided mesh :
http://i.imgur.com/O6PPKVf.png (it works "as expected")

As reference, Maya handles both situations the same way, and this is the
result : http://imgur.com/B6bQ0sL

How easily could this be fixed ?

Thank you,

Hadrien