[Bf-committers] Stereoscopy Implementation Proposal

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Mon Apr 1 21:17:43 CEST 2013

Hi Dalai,

Regarding storing such stereo renders in the render results, I think
we should add "views" in the same way that we have "layers" and
"passes" now. OpenEXR in fact has native support for such
stereo/multiview images, so it would make sense to be compatible with
that and support saving and loading such EXR files.

For compositing I think you would just run compositing once for each
view, similar to the way FSA runs it once for each AA sample. I don't
think we should use a stereo buffer where multiple views are somehow
interleaved into a single buffer, that adds quite a bit of complexity.
You could have a node in the compositor which tells you which view is
being composited, so that you can do different logic if you want to,
and the depth of field node should perhaps work a bit different, but
further the existing nodes shouldn't really have to know that they are
working on a stereo image I think.

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 2:40 AM, Harley Acheson
<harley.acheson at gmail.com> wrote:
> This might be a silly comment but it might simplify things by removing the
> need to switch into "stereoscopic" mode at all.

I think a stereo checkbox is still useful, I used to think it was
better to reduce the options in such cases but from experience it
seems to be useful to be able to turn some effect on/off without
having to remember what the setting was when you then want to turn it
back on.

Brecht.