[Bf-committers] Render and Scene Panel Audit?

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Thu Sep 27 14:45:05 CEST 2012

Hi,

This all goes back to solving the premul/key alpha problem properly,
I've written about this on the wiki before. It's pretty clear what
needs to be done, but just like color management it's a big
undertaking.
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Source/Image/Color

Basically:

* Alpha mode should be turned into a transparent on/off setting, same
as Cycles. If it's off there is no alpha, if it's on it's
premultiplied.
* RGB/RGBA is a file saving option, does not belong in the shading
panel. This option should default to RGBA and save alpha if it is
available. With the current Sky rendering that is not ideal, but if we
have a transparent on/off switch it makes sense.
* File formats should automatically convert premul <=> key alpha based
on whatever the standard is for that file format. So PNG key, EXR
premul, etc.

I've also moved the Color Unpremultiply option to the color management
panel now. I think Sergey and I agreed on that but forgot to do it.

Brecht.