[Bf-committers] Need approval for (new) Blender wiki Glossary entries (context: Materials and Textures)

Gaia gaia.clary at machinimatrix.org
Mon Sep 24 15:53:37 CEST 2012

Hi;

I have taken a look into the Blender Glossary to clarify some confusion.
Well, ok... That was not of great help in this case. So i took the time
and started an attempt for improvement.

Please can someone verify or correct/improve/annotate... the following
minimalistic definitions ? Once the definitions are accepted i can add them
to the Blender Wiki Glossary.

Many thanks in advance for any help :)

cheers,
Gaia

====

Blender Glossary (for Materials and Textures)

** Material*

*Blender wiki:* Undefined
*my proposal:* An entity specifying visual (physical?) material
properties of a surface (diffuse color, specular color, transparency, etc.)

*
* Texture ( maybe better "Material Texture" ? )*

*Blender wiki: * Undefined
*my proposal:*  An entity specifying visual patterns on surfaces,
simulation of physical surface structure. Used in the Material texture
Stack.

*
* Procedural Texture*

*Blender wiki:*  Undefined
*my proposal:*  A computer generated (generic) Texture, can be
parametrized. Used in the Material texture Stack.

*
* Image Texture*, Movie Texture

*Blender wiki: * Undefined
*my proposal:*  a (generic) texture, that uses a 2D-image (Movie) as
input. Used in the Material texture Stack.

*
* Baked Texture*

*Blender wiki:*  Undefined
*my proposal:*  The result from a Blender render bake (always a
2D-image) (a diffuse map?)

*
* Face assigned Image Texture (Maybe better "UV Texture" (see below) or
"UV Image" ?)*

*Blender wiki:*  Undefined
*my proposal:*  An image that has been assigned to a subset of the faces
of a model (by using a UV-map)

*
* UV Texture:*

The only existing glossary entry i could find in this context was: "UV
Texture"
but that entry was made by myself about 6 months ago and it may be even
incorrect:

*Blender wiki: *

A UV Texture is a Texture
<http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Glossary/Texture> which has been
created according to a UV Map
<http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Glossary/UV_Map>
A UV Texture can only be applied to an Object if

  * A UV Map has been created for the Object ( The object is UV Unwrapped).
  * The UV Texture has been created exactly according to the Object's UV
    Map.

Objects without a UV Map can not be textured with a UV Texture.

*My proposal: *

A UV Texture is an image which has been created according to a specific
UV Map <http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Glossary/UV_Map>
A UV Texture can only be correctly applied to an Object if