[Bf-committers] Regarding sticky coordinates removal from blender

Lockal S lockalsash at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 02:52:24 CEST 2012

On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 2:34 AM, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you expand on this? - not sure what you mean.

Ok, Project From View has an option to correct aspect, so it's not so
bad. However, UV projection produces distorted maps, see
http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=38001 (blend file:
http://www.pasteall.org/blend/16548)
Such mesh was created only to demonstrate exaggerated distortions, but
those exist for any non-flat mesh in perspective mode. Project from
view and Uv project work almost perfect in orthographic mode (there
are some distortion for overlapping faces which I don't take into
account), but both of them produce distorted uv maps for non-flat
meshes in perspective mode. On the other hand, sticky produces clean
image like if it was composited over the 3d image.

>  Adding an option to use the scenes aspect can be done easily, though it does create a tricky dependency (changing scene aspect would need to update modifiers).

New options for object modifiers are always welcome :)!

> such a tool can be added as an operator accessible from C, or a macro / py script.

New tools are also welcome! Err, actually this would be rather old
tool. Also the same tool could be used in do_versions to convert old
sticky coordinate setting to uv maps (if it is even possible, see the
image above)

-- Sv. Lockal