[Bf-committers] Sculpt Mask Data (lazy initialize?)

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 23:27:17 CEST 2012

@Nicholas, this happens when entering sculpt mode so there would be
some slowdown there - I assume, this would just move the delay to the
first time someone uses the mask brush, it would only be once - since
this is a very light data layer I doubt it would be noticeable
slowdown. - compared to undo which does far more heavy stuff for eg.

@Sergey, I wouldn't want to wait until after release with this -
mainly because it adds data to peoples meshes they probably won't use
its not horrible but not good practice IMHO - unless the change looks
like its error-prone, Id like to change the behavior before release.

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 11:48 PM, Sergey Sharybin <sergey.vfx at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think one more thing:
>
> 3) GPU_draw_buffers seems to be also assuming sculpt mask always exists.
>
> We could switch to lazy initialization, but i wouldn't want this to happen
> at this point -- think this could wait for after release.
>
> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 7:29 PM, Nicholas Bishop
> <nicholasbishop at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I don't have any strong objections, but a couple of things to look at:
>>
>> 1) Should check how big of a delay this introduces for the first use
>> of the mask brush on a dense mesh. Don't want there to be a big delay
>> that makes masking a second-class citizen among brushes :)
>>
>> 2) Implementation issue: the mask code for sculpt makes the assumption
>> that a mask layer always exists, so if we change that we should
>> carefully check for problems in both regular and multires sculpting.
>>
>> -Nicholas
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 4:01 AM, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > This mail is mostly for Nicholas Bishop but others may have input,
>> >
>> > The other day I noticed the default cube had a mask vertex layer -
>> > this isnt so bad - only storing one extra float per vertex - but seems
>> > unnecessary.
>> >
>> > There are some other data layers that the user had no way to remove
>> > (skin and sticky), now theres a panel "Geometry Data" - where layers
>> > can be cleared,
>> > (note - unlike UVs and VColors - these layer types are singletons - a
>> > mesh can only have one of each - so the UI is different).
>> >
>> > ... back to the point of the mail...
>> >
>> > At the moment just entering sculpt mode will add sculpt-mask data
>> > layer to the mesh verts, and be saved, and get stored in every undo
>> > step... etc.
>> >
>> > Id prefer this was lazy initialized - so only when using the mask
>> > brush it gets added, any reason not to do this?
>> >
>> > --
>> > - Campbell
>>

> --
> With best regards, Sergey Sharybin