[Bf-committers] Make Parent - shouldn't it work differently?

Bartek Skorupa (priv) bartekskorupa at bartekskorupa.com
Fri Sep 21 10:42:40 CEST 2012

Hi everyone,

I'd like to discuss the issue that I encounter every time I want to make a simple parenting structure of objects:
Let's parent object A to object B.
Select A, then select B, and hit Ctl-P.

Here's what happens:
"A" didn't change its visual transformations, it stayed exactly where it was before, it's visual rotation and scale didn't change as well.
However now it is a child of B, so it should use B's co-ordinates as its center of the world.
If "A" stayed where it was before - its transform properties should change to reflect it's position, rotation and scale in relation to "B", right?
This isn't happening. "A"'s transform properties remained untouched.
When we clear origin (alt-O) - "A" moves to location of "B". It's transform properties din't change. Now they represent co-ordinates in relation to …. exactly …. to "no-one-knows-what".

There is of-course the option to parent objects using Shift-Ctl-P. This creates proper relation between "A"'s transform properties and its visual transformations, but it as well moves "A" to "B"'s location and it's not always the desired result.

There is no easy way to make "true" parent.
It would be great if after hitting Ctl-P - child stayed where it is, but its transform properties would be recalculated such that they represent transformations in relation to parent.
Hitting Shift-Ctl-P should in my opinion make parent, leave transform properties of the child untouched, but move, rotate and scale the child such that now it's transformed properly in relation to its parent.

I find it easier to create proper parenting structure using python, than keyboard shortcuts. Is there anyone else who feels the same?

What do you think?

Cheers

Bartek Skorupa