[Bf-committers] Alembic streaming

Jeroen Bakker j.bakker at atmind.nl
Mon Sep 10 12:20:26 CEST 2012

Hi all!

I am looking into realizing Alembic support in Blender. The biggest
issue on this topic is the Alembic streaming.
Alembic is not a standard importer/exporter, but can be used as a
read-only cache file.

My ideas are to use a placeholder (like an empty) and parent all objects
that are inside the alembic archive. On frame change the data of the
objects will be refreshed. I think that in the current architecture this
is the most doable thing, but it has some drawbacks.

The objects are not read-only, they can be edited, but on a frame change
they will be refreshed. We can make the child objects not selectable in
the 3d editor, but when doing simulations you need to be able to select one.

Are there other ideas to handle this issue?

Greetings,
Jeroen