[Bf-committers] Minimal hardware spec: SSE2

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 22:47:51 CEST 2012

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Ton Roosendaal <ton at blender.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> It seems to get become complicated to make a non-SSE build for blender, especially because OpenEXR now defaults for it. (We are receiving bug reports about it). Several newer components in Blender benefit from having SSE2 (like Cycles).
>
> BTW: SSE2 was introduced in 2003 by Intel (Pentium 4 ) and in 2004 by AMD (Athlon 64). Every system you bought in past 6-7 years should support this.
>
> Proposal is to drop official support for systems older than Pentium4 now. Even when it might still be possible to get it compiled or running - I'm talking about *official* support - in releases and for reports in our tracker.
>
> Is that acceptable? Next sunday meeting we can formalize this as a decision.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Ton-

IMOHO and just as a user; I run an old system and even it can do SSE2.
If we really need to run Blender on a system that is older then that
then perhaps they should just download an older version of the
software. Even on my system Blender has become so advanced that I am
feeling the need for a new system to run Blender. This is super true
when we are talking about cycles because my graphics card is to old
and I must use the CPU and that really sucks. So anyway I say go for
it. Even on my old system it would be good if this means a bit more
speed. (I really don't know anything about sse2 VS sse1, I just think
it must be faster.)

--
Douglas E Knapp

with open source software!