[Bf-committers] Does Cycles waste half it's possible performance or am i wrong?

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Sun Oct 28 18:32:43 CET 2012

Hi,

I'm not going to spend more time on this discussion. The paper I
linked to shows that the situation can be reversed even in some
scenes, and I don't think your reasoning is correct. I understand that
it would lead to less noise in other cases to implement the filter
differently, and I agree it would be useful to do this once, but I
don't think it's anywhere near the noise reduction you are suggesting
in common cases. If you want to convince me of that I'd need to see
some actual render results to demonstrate this.

Brecht.