[Bf-committers] Blender Logging

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 09:06:37 CEST 2012

I'm currently not so much convinced it'll indeed worth spending time on
this now. If you really want to look into this would suggest looking into
writting C wrapper for glog (C++ stuff could use glog directly). This
library is already heavily used in some areas, supports lots of features
and having another logger seems quite stupid for me.

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 6:52 AM, Alex Fraser <alex at phatcore.com> wrote:

> On 17 October 2012 08:09, Jason Wilkins <jason.a.wilkins at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Rather than keep this on the back burner I figured I'd put this out
> > there for people to give some feedback.  I was thinking of replacing
> > all direct use of the standard file handles (stdin, stderr) in Blender
> > with a single set of logging functions.  This function could intercept
> > all messages and conditionally send them anywhere you wanted.  In
> > particular I was thinking you could use one of the popular open source
> > logging libraries as a backend (log4cxx for example).  So nobody would
> > need to implement a backend to send results over the network, that has
> > already been done.
>
> +1. I don't know what this would be like to implement in Blender, but
> all the projects that I've converted to use logging have since been
> much nicer to develop.
>
> Alex

With best regards, Sergey Sharybin