[Bf-committers] Blender Logging

Jason Wilkins jason.a.wilkins at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 23:09:46 CEST 2012

Rather than keep this on the back burner I figured I'd put this out
there for people to give some feedback.  I was thinking of replacing
all direct use of the standard file handles (stdin, stderr) in Blender
with a single set of logging functions.  This function could intercept
all messages and conditionally send them anywhere you wanted.  In
particular I was thinking you could use one of the popular open source
logging libraries as a backend (log4cxx for example).  So nobody would
need to implement a backend to send results over the network, that has
already been done.

I have not really had a chance to really look over Blender and see
every place that it outputs text messages, but I'm pretty sure it is
rather ad hoc now (considering the mess that appears in my console
window).  I do not think this would be a large or complicated project
though and it would be potentially useful in the future because of the
way everything would go through a single set of functions and because
you would have to supply a little more context about where messages
are coming from and what their intent is.