[Bf-committers] Using 'const' on primitive function arguments passed by value (Please don't do this)

patrick boelens p_boelens at msn.com
Mon Oct 15 02:45:03 CEST 2012

It's been a while since I've read the initial mails on this, but if I remember correctly the main reason for using foo(const int bar) was as a reminder that bar shouldn't change. In that case, maybe a nice middle ground would be to use a var naming convention instead (i.e.: foo(int c_bar) or foo(int const_bar))? That way we can forego the discussion on whether or not such uses of const are warranted, warnings for inconsistent use would be prevented, and the indiciation is still there. I have no idea if this is considered ugly(er), but just thought I'd throw it out there.

-Patrick