[Bf-committers] Please use slerp for quaternion interpolation

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 3 14:26:44 CEST 2012

Hello,

I'm currently working on a larger project which involves a lot of
rotations and I'm bound to use quaternions for the export (axis angle or
euler angles aren't supported). The exporter itself uses the current
(visual) transforms of the bones for every frame. But the current
interpolation scheme is really bad. It uses curve interpolation for unit
quaternions which gives wrong results, or better said, no good
interpolation. Often i have to notice that bones start to rotate a bit
in the wrong direction and after that it follows more or less the right
way. (The interpolation scheme don't respect that is has to be a _unit_
quaternion as the result)

A good interpolation scheme would use slerp[1] to interpolate between
keyframes, while a progression curve would define how strong the
influence of the keys is at given time. I know that in theory it is very
simple and in implementation it might be a pain, but it would also
improve overall animation experience. Being able to manipulate the
curves for quaternion interpolation is also never a good idea.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slerp

Greetings from
Tobias Oelgarte