[Bf-committers] AAC and ACC3 support

David erwin94 at gmx.net
Tue Nov 20 14:10:24 CET 2012

On Nov 19, 2012, at 6:38 PM, Sergey Sharybin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Well, issue is simple -- in FFmpeg this codecs are marked as experimental
> and unless you're configuring export context in a proper way (enable
> experimental codecs) you can not use this codecs. It seems that if FFmpeg
> is compiled with libfaac this codecs could be used. Bad thing that it makes
> FFmpeg unable to be redistributed via blender.org.
>
> I've made quick tests trying to make AAC/AC3 working without libfaac (seems
> FFmpeg does have own implementation for this codecs) but it ended up in
> only noise in output.
>
> The question is: is there somebody who're familiar with this stuff and
> could make it work or we're simply disable this codecs?

I just submitted a patch, from the tracker:

"""
this patch enables the use of the AAC and AC3 encoders in ffmpeg.
These are marked as experimental, yet they seem to be in widespread use
and all the information I could find on what makes them experimental is that
they create files with suboptimal quality per bitrate, i.e. for a given bitrate the quality
achieved could be better. This seems to be an issue only for lower bitrates, any
rates >160kbps seem to be transparent anyways.

Note: I have not tested the patch more than just quickly encoding one test file,
I don't have time to look at this longer unfortunately at the moment.
"""

http://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=33242&group_id=9&atid=127

till then, David.