[Bf-committers] Boost dependency

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 11:35:34 CET 2012

Using boost from a platform-maintainer perspective is a non-issue
because its already needed indirectly by other libraries.

But IMHO we should still get some agreement among developers when
adding new libraries used by blenders code (intern/ too), even if they
are already indirect dependencies.

For example - python uses libssl, collada uses libPCRE, libXML (and
others), but I wouldn't want this to be an excuse for blender devs to
include/link to them directly - without some agreement first that this
is important to use in blender.

Adding dependencies in blenders code isn't necessarily zero cost: core
devs need to learn the api's to fix bugs in blenders code, we may have
to deal with bugs/issues in the api (rather then having the initial
upstream dependency manage it), and it becomes harder to drop, if the
dependency becomes un-maintained.

In short - I think adding deps should go through mailing-list or
blendercoders weekly meeting, even if its already in svn's lib/ dir.

- Campbell