[Bf-committers] Boost dependency

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Mon Nov 5 16:30:23 CET 2012

Hi,

Can I get advice from the c/c++ devs here if Boost is going to be a default dependency now?
It is currently possible to disable Boost by excluding some libs (like for mini blender compiles).

I'm concerned about portablity too. And from my limited POV any library takes 200 MB diskpace is suspicious!

Next to that - we do serious attempts to keep code readable in Blender. Heavy use of templates can lead to constructions nobody will ever be able to debug. It's a common issue with C code too - but in C++ hacking even more. In other developer environments people agree together on sticking to only a limited subset of all C++ features for that reason.

(Our audio library now uses Boost, that's the reason)

Laters,

-Ton-