[Bf-committers] Steam Greenligth

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Fri Nov 2 13:12:19 CET 2012

Hi,

About the 'cons': Blender is GNU GPL - which guarantees free sharing and distributions.
Anyone therefore is free to add Blender in any distro, also to the Steam platform.

If this platform demands Blender to support their libraries or install policies, that's all part of the freedom of Steam users as well (provided the libs and install are compliant).

In our project we will maintain every distribution of Blender based on having active volunteers to manage this. I consider supporting Linux, OSX and Windows as our core platforms - we will actively seek for developers for it. The other platforms and distros have to be contributed voluntary.

-Ton-