[Bf-committers] Why did change the existing behavior of compositor?

IRIE Shinsuke irieshinsuke at yahoo.co.jp
Thu May 24 13:22:16 CEST 2012

Hi developers,

As I have reported 5 days ago, new compositor behaves in the different
way from old compositor when converting a color into a scalar value:

http://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=31531&group_id=9&atid=498

That is, in the old compositor,

  output value = (R + G + B) / 3

or

  output value = R * 0.35 + G * 0.45 + B * 0.2

while in the new compositor,

  output value = (R + G + B) / 3 * A

or

  output value = (R * 0.35 + G * 0.45 + B * 0.2) * A

This change is very annoying that requires me to modify many existing
.blend files.  So, I posted a patch that rolls back the behavior:

http://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=31534&group_id=9&atid=127

but still got no response.

Please let me know if this change accidentally happened or is intended
and if I really have to modify my .blend files.

Regards,
--
IRIE Shinsuke