[Bf-committers] Freestyle branch status report May 2012

Tamito KAJIYAMA rd6t-kjym at asahi-net.or.jp
Thu May 24 01:54:27 CEST 2012

Dan and Campbell,

Thanks for your review of the Python part.  I am going to address all the
suggested changes and improvements.

The current naming convention of the Freestyle Python API is largely historical
and based on the underlying C++ class hierarchy.  Previously the Python API was
auto-generated by SWIG.  Then we rewrote the Python API by manual coding in
order to get rid of the C++ syntax from the Python API.

For what concerns an automatic generation of the Python API from the C++ code,
there is an application requirement.  The Freestyle Python API is a wrapper of the
underlying C++ class system, and the Python and C++ layers have been connected
by a specific mechanism that allows you to define a Python subclass of a C++ class.
The present API implementation heavily relies on this mechanism, and indeed
it works very well.  Implementing a similar (automated) functionality in makerna
would be a major task.

--
KAJIYAMA, Tamito <rd6t-kjym at asahi-net.or.jp>