[Bf-committers] Freestyle branch status report May 2012

Thomas Dinges blender at dingto.org
Tue May 22 23:17:53 CEST 2012

Hi,
I just downloaded a build and checked it. You are right, it's a post
process for the Blender Internal.
I had the impression Freestyle was an external render engine.
(http://freestyle.sourceforge.net/)

So I think this is fine. Still I think the UI needs a lot of
work...several panels in the render context, seems not ideal to me. Have
to think about it.

Regards,
Thomas

Am 22.05.2012 11:37, schrieb Dan Eicher:
> On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 10:19 PM, Thomas Dinges<blender at dingto.org>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>> first of all congrats for the project and your work over the last couple
>> of years! :)
>>
>> Although I understand the need and the users want this in trunk I am a
>> bit sceptical of the integration.
>>
>> Basically I would prefer to see Freestyle being implemented as an
>> external engine rather than hook so deep into Blenders core.
>> I mean that was the intention of the API, to make exactly that possible.
>>
>>   From a quick look at the patch it looks like its quite heavily
>> integrated. What is the intention of the ID_LS you added?
>> Also I don't see a way to disable freestyle (compile option).
>>
>> Sorry but at the moment I would not recommend a merge. Basically I first
>> would like to check if it would be possible to integrate it via the
>> Render API, and with much less changes to the core.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Thomas
> There's a 'blender integration' doc (somewhere) that describes the
> hooks into blender, basically it gets the rendered output in about the
> same way as the composite nodes and really doesn't mess about in
> blender's core as much as you'd think. Also don't think it's really a
> good case for the renderer api since it depends on the *output* of BI
> according to answers to my questions when I was poking around in the
> source a while back trying to figure out how it does its thing.
>
> Think of it as a big, fancy replacement for the 'toon edges' checkbox.
>
> Dan

Thomas Dinges
Blender Developer, Artist and Musician

www.dingto.org