[Bf-committers] Concept bug with Shrinkwrap(projection)+armatures

Juan Pablo Bouza jpbouza at hotmail.com
Tue May 22 01:29:21 CEST 2012

Hi Vicente!

Well, the coder who made shrinkwrap is jaguarandi, you might find him at blendercoders, but this is definitely a feature request, not a bug. Anyway, I don't think shrinkwrap is the right way, another modifier which doesn't use rays calculation should be better. Have you tried the Warp modifier? for a spherical shape it should work.

Now, about your setup, the only way I know of working with shrinkwrap and obtaining good results is nearest surface point + heavy subdivision of the target mesh.

You should think of your setup in the opposite way, as now you are working with nearest surface point, you should ensure that the shrinkwrap mesh is as close to the target mesh area as possible. In other words, you don't project in this mode, you just put one surface over the other as close as you can and then you ensure that when you move the surfaces, the meshes keep their relative distances as much as they can.

Here is a working example of this. actually it seems something pretty similar to what you want to do.

http://www.pasteall.org/blend/14055

Notice that the eyes are modelled over the sphere and that they are moved by bones which always maintain location and rotation of the eye objects aligned to the sphere object (target mesh). This way, it will never miss. Also notice that the result is even better when you subdivide the target mesh further with the subsurf modifier.

You can do very complex things with this mode, as I told you I have done several full body muscle simulation rigs.

See you!