[Bf-committers] Showing Modal Keymap

Jason Wilkins jason.a.wilkins at gmail.com
Mon May 21 19:46:42 CEST 2012

I was thinking about a way to increase Blender's discoverability.
Currently great strides have been made in increasing the
discoverability of Blender by displaying the keyboard shortcuts for
everything in tooltips and by making sure that most of the operators
have some kind of button.  While I was sitting down to learn Blender's
modeling tools (I've been focused almost exclusively on sculpting and
have not actually used edit mode that much) I kept thinking that I
wish I knew what was in each tool's modal keymap without having to
look it up.

A solution that occurred to me was to display a summary of the keymap
in the corner of the view.  This actually seems like it might be
somewhat simple to implement.  It may even be doable as an add-on,
although it seems like it should be a part of mainstream Blender.