[Bf-committers] (agree to not do it) Split Collada into a python frontend and a C++ backend

Gaia gaia.clary at machinimatrix.org
Mon May 21 02:44:48 CEST 2012

On 20.05.2012 23:43, Campbell Barton wrote:
> On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 11:05 PM, Gaia<gaia.clary at machinimatrix.org>  wrote:
>> If we wanted  to move these selections to the Collada Exporter,
>> then we would have to add these buttons to the file export panel
>> as far as i understand the concept.
>>
>> - But the Collada exporter's user interface is programmed in C.
>> - Hence wouldn't we have to implement all these buttons in C as well ?
> Yes, but I dont see the problem with this. most C operators use the
> automatic layout (so no ui code needs to be added in C).
> a few do - Ctrl+F3 -- Save ScreenShot - is an example of a C UI.

For me (only!) it is easy to create a target specific exporter in Python.
I just can do it, give it to my friends, even sell it, and most important,
use it right after i created it.

When doing the same in C, i have to rebuild Blender, possibly have to
redistribute a special version of Blender if others want to use my
exporter. And if Blender developers refuse my addition i am lost.

just to recap: My very first intention when i started this thread was
to work out a solution where it was possible for python developers to
make use of the existing Collada implementation and add target specific
stuff. While on the other side the Collada implementation would be
improved over time so that in the ideal case more and more target
systems would be just supported out of the standard. And new targets
would be easy adaptable and would not need rebuilding of Blender.

I have accepted that this approach is not feasible, so i dropped
the idea and move on to the next task.

> Afraid Im not understanding the question at this point. In this
> discussion you should more clearly differentiate, options, presets,
> 3rd party collada implimentations, scripts which happen to call
> collada export .... reading your mail I feel like this is getting
> mixed up.

Sorry, i don't get you here. I have only written about "3rd party
exporters".
I never mentioned "options", "presets", "3rd party collada implementation"
or "scripts" in this context.

I just asked a few questions and you answered all of them and i am fully
satisfied. To Summarize:

- We will create the interface in C, that's easy.
- We implement the target specific parts in C as well.
- We will not call python code from C.

This also helped me to decide about my next steps. No worries, i will keep
badgering you (in a most friendly sense) with my questions while i continue
working on the Collada implementation :)

But anyways thanks for the clarifications !!!
Gaia